Sunday, January 11, 2009

Monsoon In Jerusalem

Currently, I am waiting my roommate to get out of the shower. It’s 4 in the afternoon. I really need a shower—guess why? We got to go out in the city today, and we got caught in a huge rainstorm (we’re talking about a city that gets the same amount of rain London does in a year—except Jerusalem gets it in 3 months). So I am soaked head to toe. But some highlights from today: We went to the Church of the Holy Spelechure, I got yelled at by an Armenian monk (got a great photo of a giant gold Jesus, though!) and I took a picture with a man who literally has the keys to the kingdom (The keys to the Holy Seplechure—all 6 denominations that stake claims there argued over it so much, the state appointed one family to guard the gates—that’s all they do, all day and night, stand there to unlock it at the morning, and lock it at night)…Anyways…I ate falafals (delicious!) and this amazing chocolate roll with all these foreign nuts in it, then got caught in a downpour for about 50 minutes walking home (a very nice Palestinian man and I walked under his umbrella for a while—I think he felt so bad for me he overlooked that huge breach of decency!) and now I am getting really, really itchy…so I’m going to shower. Love you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Shamra! I'm so glad that you made it there safely. From how you describe the place, it sounds beautiful. I am so happy for you and this amazing opportunity you have. Tallin says "Don't anger the Muslims!" (The only 10 year old I know who even know who they are.) Anyway, I hope you got the camera thing worked out so maybe you could post some pictures when you get a chance. Take care. Love ya tons!
Gina

janner said...

We are so excited for you Shamra! It sounds like a fantastic adventure! Thanks for keeping us posted--love the story about the guy sharing his umbrella. That is way cool. We are praying for your continued safety!

We love you!
Aunt Jan

Chelsea said...

Oh how I love a good monsoon. You should shower. I don't want you to be itchy, roomie. :)